Cindy Brummer is the CEO and Creative Director of Standard Beagle Studio, an award-winning UX agency for digital B2B products that she built from the ground up. With a career beginning in TV news, she moved into UX design as the field was burgeoning and went on to teach a UX/UI bootcamp at the University of Texas at Austin.
In a conversation with host Rebecca Kalogeris, Cindy talks about her winding career path, navigating interpersonal dynamics in a consulting environment, and the nuances of UX design in B2B projects – when the end user trying to complete a task might be a developer using a platform to set up an integration or a nurse completing a clinical trial.
The two also discuss:
- Why teaching UX is like chicken sexing
- How Cindy builds alignment and trust with stakeholders, and brings them into decision-making, to ensure a project is successful
- Her guidance for new grads entering UX design, from reading widely to being comfortable with ambiguity
- Why she believes most personas are “total crap” and how she takes a behavior-first approach to creating personas
- The implications of AI on UX roles
- …and more
Are you a designer eager to level up your strategic impact? Pragmatic Institute’s Business Strategy & Design course is tailored to empower designers with the tools and knowledge to align their user-centered work with key business objectives.
Unlock the power of storytelling in design. Engage teams, create alignment, and craft compelling narratives with Pragmatic Institute’s Influence Through Storytelling course.