“Technical skills are great up to a certain point in your career. However, When you’re trying to do that jump from senior to lead or senior to manager, that is when you really need to be thinking about these power skills.” – Rochelle Williams, lead product designer at Elsewhen.
In this episode, Rebecca Kalogeris and Rochelle explore a variety of power skills, how to build them and demonstrate them daily. During this conversation, Rochelle not only provides an overview of her winding design career but also gives practical advice to both novice and experienced designers on how to grow their strategic impact and advance their careers.
During this episode, they discuss:
- Why Rochelle urges people to use “power skills” instead of “soft skills” because they “aren’t a nice to have, they are a must-have.”
- How to enable decision-making (aka facilitation)
- Strategies to get more from design workshops
- How to navigate conflict management and self-management
- Ways to start building your power skills today
Learn How to Incorporate Business Strategy into Your Design Role
Discover how to align your design work with business outcomes and demonstrate its value to business objectives in Pragmatic’s Business Strategy & Design course, where you’ll develop skills to participate in strategic conversations, improve cross-functional partnerships and show return on investment.