“Leadership is the act of driving change with others,” says Brett Macfarlane.
Brett Macfarlane is an organizational consultant who focuses on leadership development for innovation and change. Based in Vancouver, he works primarily with tech and creative organizations and counts Visa, Unilever, and Apple among his past clients. (Read his Apple Watch case study.)
On Design Chats, Brett goes deep on leadership as an act, not a position; his guiding principles of empathy, intent, and compassion; and insights from his work in leadership and culture development. With VP of Product Strategy Rebecca Kalogeris, Brett also discusses:
- The nuances of leadership within innovation environments—which are high risk, high reward, high emotion situations
- Brett’s six practices for leading empowered teams, from questioning critical assumptions to seeking different perspectives
- The identity shift for a designer who gets that sought-after seat at the table
- Switching between charismatic leadership (setting vision, inspiring teams) and architectural leadership (putting systems in place, delegating tasks)
- How self-awareness is key to realizing change in your organization
- …and much more
For more on leading from where you are and driving change through design, enroll in Business Strategy & Design. Learn how to tie design work to business value in this interactive, actionable course from Pragmatic Institute.